Brompton Road last served the traveling public on 29th July 1934. Bereft of customers who preferred either the nearby stations of Knightsbridge or Hyde Park Corner it was just too near its neighbours. Every time a train stopped it added to the overall journey time so something had to give to improve journey times and the little used station was at first bypassed by passing trains and then finally shut off from the outside world for several decades.
Some of Brompton Road’s lifts were removed and taken to Hyde Park Corner and its empty underground chambers potential as an area safe from bombing was soon realised at the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. The lower lift landings and the shaft were relatively easily transformed into the perfect shape for an anti aircraft operations room, a function it continued to provide past the end of the war and even into the 1950’s.
In 2011 the Old London Underground Company embarked on an ambitious programme of turning disused Underground stations into useful facilities for London once again. Brompton Road was one of the prime sites for redevelopment being set in fashionable Knightsbridge. It’s since been acquired by a new owner, however, and is set to be converted into flats.